I hope you haven’t done what I’ve done this year! Here we are a few short weeks away from Christmas and I have done absolutely nothing to prepare. I haven’t purchased one single gift…or even made a list. I’ve got all of the typical excuses. Of course none of those matter. I know that I will have to power shop at some point soon. It may be a full day or two battling crowds in the mall and crowds in the parking lot. Sadly, the time and dedication required for extended power shopping trips is not typically conducive to a healthy lifestyle. So, I thought it might be helpful to give you a quick list of potential health hazards and some shop ’til you drop fitness survival tips for this holiday season.
- Dehydration – the malls are dry and when you get busy in the crowds you may forget to drink enough water. Dehydration will make you tired and cranky. Plus it’s just not good for you. Take water with you and continue to drink throughout the day. Staying hydrated will also help to keep you out of the food court trap.
- Exercise – when you have a busy day shopping the thought of a workout may be enough to put you over the edge. This is the right day to work-out in the morning. Get it done before you get sidetracked by holiday happenings and you can avoid the guilt of just wanting to relax at the end of your trip.
- Fresh air – if your entire shopping day has you inside one mega shopping centre plan to step outside for fresh air occasionally. (here’s hoping you can avoid the smoking section). The fresh cool air will rejuvenate you.
- Unload your stuff- once the buying has begun you need to unload heavy and awkward packages into your car. Carrying unevenly balanced bags will change your walking gait pattern and over a long day can cause shoulder or back pain. The trip to the car will also help with the exercise and fresh air issues.
- Healthy snacks – you will need to eat! You will need to eat nourishing food. Pack some healthy “on the go” snacks with your water. Snacking properly will keep your blood sugar balanced which will keep you in control when you smell the cinnamon buns and cookies. Plan to go for a meal before you are starving and choose a restaurant with healthy options.
All of your success when it comes to your healthy lifestyle stem from planning properly for whatever is on your agenda. Know what challenges may be ahead and have the tools, or food ideas that you need ready. Yes, there are always excuses……but how much does is matter to you?
I’d love your feedback! And, don’t forget to leave a link back to your own blog too if you have one, via the commentluv feature here on the site.
Until next time,